This year, the International Development Research Centre (IDRC) will offer research awards related to these development areas:
- Climate-Resilient Food Systems
- Democratic and Inclusive Governance
- Education and Science
- Global Health
- Sustainable Inclusive Economies
If your research proposal is selected, you will join IDRC as a Research award recipient for a period of 12 months from 1st May 2023 to 30th April 2024 to undertake research on the topic you have submitted.
The deadline for submitting completed application into the research programs closes on 1st February 2023 at 23:59 EST.
Awardees in Ottawa will be considered full-time non-union employees of IDRC for payroll purposes. Benefits include employer contributions to employment insurance, employer health tax, the Canada Pension Plan, and paid vacation leave. The salary range is CA$42,033 – CA$48,659.
The awardee in Nairobi is considered a term employee working on the Research Awardee pay scale as defined in the Locally engaged Staff manual. The salary range is 2,032,072 to 3,204,520 KES.
For all awardees some travel and research expenses are also supported.
Who can apply
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada, and students from low- or middle-income nations enrolled in Canadian universities with work permits valid for full-time (37.5-hour-per-week) employment in Canada through 30 April 2024 are eligible for the prizes located in Ottawa.
- Candidates for the Nairobi-based Global Health Award must be nationals of Kenya.
- students who have recently finished or are now enrolled in a master’s program at an accredited university
- Students with a master’s degree finished will be given preference.
- I only applied for one possibility to be a research prize recipient.
- The proposed study must concentrate on one or more ODA beneficiaries on the OECD DAC list of developing nations.
- The field study portion cannot last longer than three months.
- In nations where the Government of Canada has issued “Avoid all travel” travel advisories, no research can be suggested there.
- For each study theme, specific requirements must be met.
- Completed Research proposal submission, Academic information and professional qualifications form, a copy of your full-time work permit that is valid at least until 30 April 2024, if applicable, or proof of your Kenyan citizenship, if applying for an award in Nairobi. All of these documents must be uploaded as part of the application process (Note: If these documents are not uploaded your application will not be considered)
- Candidates who are selected and have valid student visas will have their offers contingent upon getting a work visa that is good for full-time employment (37.5 hours) between 1 May 2023 and 30 April 2024.
All awards will be based in Ottawa except for the Global Health award that will be based in Nairobi.